Add a Printer
You do not need to manually add printers to the database - as users print, new network devices are automatically added. However, if you want to add a local printer or even just add a new printer and set properties before users start printing to it, follow these instructions.
- Select Administration from the ribbon.
- Select Printers → List.
- In the Printers screen, click Create.
- Enter a unique name for the printer. This name will be viewed by users who are trying to print.
- Select a Printer Profile. Refer to Create and Modify Printer Profiles for details.
- Select the Connection type for this printer. Additional fields are required based on the type you choose:
- Network: Enter the UNC path for the printer.
- Direct IP: Enter the Host name, IP Address and port used to connect to the printer.
- Local: Enter the Host name, port to connect, and Device name that hosts this printer.
- Click Create. The Edit printer screen opens where you can further configure the printer options. All options are described in the following sections.
Configure Printer options
- Device Name – Enter a unique name for the device that users will use to identify the printer.
- Profile – Select the tracking Printer Profile.
- Account – Use this field to enter an internal account number. You can export this field information to third party systems.
Configure Connection options
- Edit – If you need to make changes to the connection setting, click Edit. You can modify the connection type, Host, IP Address and port.
Configure Model options
- Color – Enable 'Yes' if the model supports color printing.
- Duplex – Enable 'Yes' if the model supports duplex printing.
- Model – Type a model name.
- Printer Type – Select the type of printer: Laser, Inkjet, Fax, Copier, Multifunction, Plotter, or File Creator.
- Asset Number – Enter the asset number if using internal inventory/device numbers for your devices.
- Location – Enter a location. Allows you to describe the physical location of the device (eg. third floor, east corridor, etc.) to help users more easily identify printers.
- Do not attempt late popup – When this field is disabled, the Client waits until all pages are spooled prior to displaying the popup so the window can display costs, evaluate all rules, etc. However, some print drivers cannot pause jobs, and require this option to be enabled.
- Enhanced color matching – When enabled, Workflow looks for the color setting in the raw driver data to ensure color data is reported correctly.
Set Up Auto Merging
Any device that meets all of the following settings is automatically merged as one printer. Click Setup Matching to configure the options.
- Match on – Determine if matching should occur on local, network, and/or direct IP printing.
Enter the device name, model, host, and port information. Matches will only occur if ALL fields match precisely.
If any printers were found to match the criteria selected in 'Set up Auto Merging', they are listed under linked printers. This list is for information only and cannot be edited.