Organize Printers into Groups
Printer groups are useful when managing a large number of users or if your company has a medium to large number of devices. When grouped, you can run reports, control access and receive notifications, all based on printer group. Groups can significantly reduce the amount of time required to manage the fleet.
For example, you can group printers based on site location (floor, work area), geographical location (city, building), or by function (marketing, engineering). Alternatively, you could group printers based on function (color vs. B/W, or laser vs. inkjet). Device grouping can require some advanced planning and your groups will depend on your requirements for reporting, access to printers,
When devices are grouped, you can:
- Create print rules for the group
- Establish costs and policies for printing to devices within the group
Add Printers to a New Group
- Select Administration from the ribbon.
- Select Printers → Groups.
- In the Printer Groups screen, click Create.
- Enter a Name for the group and then click Create again.
- In the Edit Printer Group screen, find printers to add to the group. Click Change Members. The list will update to show all available printers.
- Click Add beside each printer you want to add.
- Click Done when you are finished selecting group members. In the Edit Printer Group screen, you will now see all of the printers you selected.
Nesting Printer Groups
For organizational and reporting purposes, you can nest printer groups. For example, if you need to group all devices from a particular manufacturer together for a billing report, you can further nest the groups into B/W and Color devices.
- In the Printer Groups screen, click Move Groups.
- Grab the control handle for a group and drag and drop it to another group to create a subgroup.